background

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O'Reilly inspired rant

Ever since Hilary Rosen said what she did about Ann Romney not working a day in her life, everywhere I look people are talking about how being a stay-at-home wife/mother is the most difficult job they have ever done. Well, this homeschooling mother of four doesn't think it is so hard.

I love it. I love the freedom that I have. I love how no one tells me what I have to get done. If I'm tired I can take a nap with LillyAnne. If I'm energetic I can work hard. There is no limit to my sick days or vacation days. I'm not working for someone else's benefit. I'm working for my own family. I'm in no way squelching my creativity. I have ENDLESS ways to express that. I'm not being lazy. I'm raising the next generation. I'm not wasting my abilities. I'm putting them to the most worthy cause I can imagine. What is more important than my own family? I don't feel trapped in my home. I feel blessed to be here and am free to leave at any time I want to. There is always MUCH to be done. But if I don't feel up to it, or if I just don't accomplish what I need to there is no one who is going to be upset about my lack of productivity. Heath will just kiss me and tell me he thinks I'm doing a wonderful job.

All over the news now there are women talking about how hard it was when they stayed at home. How they were working. How it was the hardest work they have ever done.

I really appreciate what they are doing. They are saying that what I do counts. They are saying that Mothers are not a waste. They are taking up for people like myself. They are trying to express how important they believe what I am doing is. God bless them! But, for me, I just don't really think it's so terribly difficult. And yes, I work. Just today I have spent most of the morning getting ready for a garage sale and reorganizing my bookshelf. I have had a very productive day. But I'm not working according to someone elses agenda. I'm working according to what my family needs. It's pretty much just awesome. This leads me to believe one of two things, either I am just a complete pro at this and have everything well under control, or (more believably) I am an under achieving housewife who is not accomplishing nearly what these ladies on television did when they stayed at home themselves! ;)

Either way, thanks to all these people on the news for your awesome defense of the stay-at-home mother!

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Heather. When people ask me how I do it all I don't really know what to say because it doesn't feel all that hard to me. My kids are well behaved and easy to be around - maybe that is what makes all the difference.
    Anyway, I really like what you said because I feel the same way.

    We'll be in town at the end of May, probably. We should definitely get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Come! It will be great to see ya'll again! Just let me know when and keep reminding me!

    ReplyDelete